First things first, I actually enjoyed the Ohio State campus and my general Columbus experience this past weekend far more than I anticipated. I just returned from a trip to Columbus for a college roommate's wedding and I had a fantastic time; though am now likely sick after a trip that included 4 different flights and a lot of sleep loss. Four footballish things I learned from this trip:
- Buckeye fans, you have a fine stadium. My apologies for considering peeing on the side. But you guys still remain my football nemesis...
- Never discount the chance that the father of the bride will show the entire crowd his OSU boxers during his toast at the reception.
- There was Buckeye pride everywhere I looked. And football is um, kind of a big deal. On one of my teeny flights out of Columbus, there was a guy behind me that used to be on the Rams' practice squad (I'm sure he was thrilled to squeeze his larger frame into the small plane seat). Football seemed to be everywhere; football is god in Ohio. So maybe it wouldn't be such a bad place to live after all...
- Training camp is here! Okay, so that wasn't a lesson I learned while in Ohio but it must be noted.
- As noted above, training camp has started. Don't be that guy/girl who doesn't stay updated on news. Check out Rotoworld or KFFL's news sections for the latest and greatest.
- There are a few RB situations out there that I feel have received an unbelievably small amount of press in the fantasy football world - one such situation? Cincinnati. Please raise your hand if you have faith in Rudi Johnson. Anyone, anyone? I'll be honest, I have none. It's possible you couldn't pay me to draft him. But what I want to know is, what happened to poor Kenny Watson who is returning to a "more limited role offensively"? That guy was pretty impressive last year but Cincy is psyched about injury-laden Chris Perry instead? Intriguing. What a mess of a backfield. No wonder fantasy writers aren't anxious to spew forth their opinions...but for the record, I bet that Kenny Watson will be the lead runner by Week 5 and he'll end up with a pretty decent season by the end. I might be alone on this one, but I'll be the FFer taking a flier on Watson this year...
- If you're all about drafting by tiers, or even if you just want some solid insight on WRs this season, check out KFFL's Wide receiver fantasy analysis article. I just saw Larry Fitzgerald go pretty early in a 12-person mock draft (at the 2.08 spot) so I'm interested to see him listed so highly here as well.
- Shockey's return with the Giants isn't guaranteed according to the Giants' GM. How comfortable do you feel drafting Shockey? Latest ADPs (average draft position) show him at 98th behind Chris Cooley, Todd Heap and Vernon Davis, but still ahead of Heath Miller, Owen Daniels and Tony Scheffler. Hmmm...many of you know about my big fantasy crush on Scheff, but I don't think I would draft Shockey, a man whose team this fall may be an unknown, ahead of Miller, Daniels or of course Scheffler.
- Here's an offensive line ranking that I don't think I ever posted - Rotoworld's Evan Silva put this together a few weeks ago so remember that as some training camp news comes out I'm sure these rankings, like all others, might shift slightly.