Well I'm back from a long weekend of seeing family and friends - it was a fantastic weekend, full of celebrations (wedding, baby shower, family birthday) and ended with a bumpy UHaul ride and a newly furnished nursery of sorts (and by nursery I mean a 3x6 space carved out of our living room). So thanks for your patience while I was traveling and welcome to August - very exciting time for fantasy footballers. I've got a lot of stuff in the works for this month, including my annual average rankings spreadsheet, which I should have ready in a week or so. It also looks like I'm going to have some room in my monster FFLibrarian league this year, so keep an eye open for news on that front if you're interested.
In other news, happy 33rd birthday, Tom Brady...but for the rest of the real football news out there, read on:
- I'm sure you've seen the headlines that the word on the street has Favre telling his teammates that he's retiring due to wear and tear on his body. Take it for what it's worth - not much...yet.
- A couple of interesting bits from Yahoo!'s Roto Arcade First Down series - some thoughts on the "carnage" as they call it from last weekend's training camp cartoffs in Moreno's hammy 'pop' heard 'round the fantasy world. Or scope out Daniels fails physical, still aiming for Week 1 return for some thoughts on one of my favorite TEs of yore. Definitely an interesting guy this season...not entirely sure what to make of him myself.
- ProFootballWeekly.com's Expectations high for second-year receivers takes a quick look at a handful of last year's impressive rookies (Maclin, Collie, Crabtree, Britt) but the real focus here is on Percy Harvin. Of course the Favre news makes a big difference on Harvin's outlook, but again, move slowly on making assumptions on that front.
- Take a look at Rotoworld's Bowe out of doghouse, earning praise for more in-depth thoughts on a receiver, but this time KC's Dwayne Bowe...could he be worth drafting this year? Definitely a different Bowe than we were hearing about 12 months ago.
- For some other guys you might want to get on your radar, the Fifth Down's Fantasy Drafting: The Upside of the End Game does a nice job of comparing some standard late-round draft picks versus "younger, high risk/high reward" guys who could very well have a lot of upside this year.
- For other players to consider at the end of your draft, see who FFToolbox suggests in their 2010 Deep RBs or 2010 Deep WRs.
- FFManiaxs have updated their 2010 rankings - find them all here, including a dash of IDP.
- Finally, a couple of good training camp reads:
- MMQB's Snapshots from Week 1 on the annual NFL training camp circuit
- Football Outsiders' Walkthrough: O Little Town