I love December. It's just a great month for all of these wonderful reasons:
1. Winter still seems a bit novel and I actually enjoy waking up to see snow on the ground.
2. It's socially acceptable to play Christmas music.
3. We're in a bit of a holiday sandwich, with Thanksgiving behind us but Christmas and Hanukkah still to come, which means most people are only half-working and there's a more festive spirit at work.
4. I know I'll be seeing family and friends when we head back home in a few weeks.
5. And perhaps most of all, football (just kidding, Mom, seeing you is the best! Actually, Mom, I think you read this blog only once in a blue moon and then inevitably proceed to call me up and tell me you can't believe your own daughter knows so much about football and you have no clue what language I'm speaking...but you're still better than football, don't worry..!) The fantasy playoffs are here, baby, and the real football playoffs aren't far behind.
So what's not to love about this time of year? Injured players that you were relying upon for the playoffs, perhaps? Well don't worry, there are options out there. Read on for some great advice from the experts:
- FFGeekBlog's Desperation is a Stinky Cologne: Deep Sleepers for Week 14 - the Geeks list a handful of guys like Joe Flacco and Deion Branch that are still available in over 50% of ESPN and Yahoo leagues.
- More playoffs advice coming at you from Rotoworld - their Priming the Playoffs video brings you Gregg and Tiffany's suggestions for Week 14 and waiver wire pickups.
- FFToolbox has some Sleepers for Week 14, most of whom I imagine are already on someone's roster, but if you're the lucky owner, consider playing one of these guys this week. I'm plugging Hightower into my flex spot this week with high expectations - don't let me down, Timmy, you're facing the Rams!
- If you need waiver advice or just want to read a solid fantasy football article, take a look at FFToday's Through the Wire. As always, a big thanks to Antonio for including IDPs in this waiver wire article and if anyone out there is thinking about starting up a fantasy football website, can I suggest an IDP site? There is a need there, my football friends.
- The Talented Mr. Roto: Are you an Oscar or a Grammy gives some playoffs advice with a focus on teams that have strong playoffs schedules and waiver wire grabs that might be worth your time. I like the Toomer and Hixon calls in particular - kudos if you grabbed either one last week as the Plax news was just unraveling.
- We've got some start/sit advice being churned out already -
- Finally, not relevant to the fantasy world really but of interest nonetheless, Donovan McNabb's wife had twins this week - congrats, McNabbs!