Hi fantasy footballers. Before I jump into training camp news (and how it will definitely affect your drafting and rankings), I just wanted to note that I will be traveling to a library conference in Seattle today; I'll try to keep the postings coming this week but if I'm a little quiet through 8/6, don't be too surprised.
So last night was the Hall of Fame induction for Fred Dean, Darrell Green, Art Monk, Emmitt Thomas, Andre Tippett and Gary Zimmerman - and tonight is the HOF Game - the Colts vs Redskins (the Redskins have a 4-0 record at Canton, fyi). I realize this is a relatively meaningless game for the season but how can you not be excited about the chance to see football on tv again? In prime time no less! As noted above, I'll be traveling and not sure how much of the game I'll catch but I certainly am looking forward to it.
- Javon Walker tried to retire. Favre isn't the only one on the brink between retirement and playing, but I'm far more concerned about Walker than Favre. Al Davis apparently talked Walker into staying but Walker has had a less than successful camp and offered to return his $11 million signing bonus and retire. Hmm. So while Walker claims to have had a change of heart over the past few days, I'm avoiding him like the plague this year and won't be taking a draft pick on this guy, not even a flier.
- Matt Prater, the new Broncos kicker now that Jason Elam has left for Atlanta, kicked a 68-yard field goal (quite comfortably I might add) at training camp yesterday. While losing Elam hurts, having someone who can boot the hell out of the ball like that is comforting. Will Prater end up being an excellent fantasy kicker this year? Don't draft him quite yet, but keep an eye on his progress over the first few weeks.
- A few other news nuggets:
- Steve Smith suspended for two regular- season games after his altercation with Ken Lucas that left Lucas with a broken nose last week.
- Ryan Grant has reached a deal with the Packers. Rest easy, Grant drafters.
- Wes Welker was taken off the Pats' PUP list and is concerned to be 100% healthy. Rest easy, Welker drafters.
- Have a listen to the FF Goat and Football Jabber discuss quarterback races and sleeper picks around the league in Sleepers, Value Picks and Average Draft Position.
- Fantasy Football Fools talks a bit about his drafts and why grabbing your RBs a little later this year might work out just fine for you in The Incredible Depth at Running Back in 2008.
- FFToolbox has updated their IDP Rankings in their Free Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets. They also have updated offensive position rankings, too, so take a look around their site.
- Fantasy Football Sharks is a bit unsure about Frank Gore - read up on why the Sharks don't think you should grab Gore as early as his ADP (mid-first round) in Don't Waste a First-Round Pick on Frank Gore.