I did a draft yesterday afternoon with some friends that just felt bizarre - it's a 6 points per passing TD league so QBs are definitely popular but I didn't expect them to be flying off the board at such a crazy rate. I mean Ben Roethlisberger was gone by the end of the 2nd round. What is that?! So here's the team I ended up with (drafting from 9th of 12) in a league that starts 2 RBs/3WRs (and yes, I do have some draft repeats like Patrick Crayton and Owen Daniels across my various drafts; how else will I remain sane this season? 2.5 drafts down, 4.5 to go...):
Marion Barber, 1.09
Reggie Wayne, 2.04
Torry Holt, 3.09
Darren McFadden, 4.04
Jay Cutler, 5.09
Thomas Jones, 6.04
Chris Johnson, 7.09
Patrick Crayton, 8.04
DeSean Jackson, 9.09
David Garrard, 10.04
Owen Daniels, 11.09
Seahawks DST, 12.04
Laurent Robinson, 13.09
Josh Scobee, 14.04
So far I have drafted with CBS twice; tonight I draft via Fleaflicker (for The Hazean's 2nd annual blogger league) and am interested in seeing some if the draft host differences. My only qualm about CBS is that once you draft a player, you can't see his bye week any longer. Bit frustrating since you then need to scramble to find bye weeks; that minor change would make a big difference to me.
- The FF Geek Blog has taken stock of this week's preseason games and what that they might mean for the rising and falling stock of a bunch of players. Check out Best of the Rest: Leinart back in the doghouse. I'm surprised that Jonathan Stewart isn't back on here with rising stock; one week the experts say he's the best thing to hit Carolina in years, the next week his toe is going to ruin everything. Oh the fickle fantasy world. (update: wow, I'm blind. Yes, Stewart is indeed listed there...)
- Okay, I'm about to post to a bunch of Sports Outlaw links - first, why you shouldn't be basing your picks solely on ADP (average draft position) but should be using your brain and gut, too. And then tips on drafting from the top, middle and bottom of a draft order - interesting stuff. My biggest recommendation would be that no matter how much draft strategy advice you read, remember that crazy things happen in drafts that will mess up your draft plans - be flexible.
- I was thinking of looking at preseason performances in the past and determining just how meaningless they really are (or aren't) for my A Librarian's Touch (ALT) column this week, but turns out Football Outsiders has been there, done that and found that "a 50-carry preseason workload has usually put you among the league leaders" and other such gems - so anything in particular you all want to read about in my ALT column this week? I'm waiting for inspiration to strike here...
- I'm diverging a bit from my norm of only posting links to free content - if you happen to have money burning a hole in your pocket, consider becoming a Footballguys subscriber. Now since I'm not a subscriber, I can't 100% attest to the awesomeness of the site, but I do know how great it is during the off-season. I love their multitude of cheat sheets, too. How awesome is that?
- I'm on the brink of purchasing an iPhone and ending my 9 year Sprint relationship; of course as soon as I start considering leaving Sprint, I see that they're now offering a free app of live radio broadcasts for NFL games.
- The Bruno Boys have posted an interview I did with Chris Ziza at Bruno Boys - I feel a bit self-promotional in linking to it but if you're interested in hearing some of my own sleepers and busts - or knowing a little more about me - check out Sitting Down with the Fantasy Football Librarian.