So that crazy wind I wrote about here yesterday? Right, well the wind knocked down some power lines which turned into a couple of wildfires which came incredibly close to our home last night. I left work early after hearing reports of where the fire was located and around 5 PM or so our neighborhood, which is on the edge of town, got those good ol' reverse 911 calls telling us to evacuate. Needless to say, I didn't make it to bowling. Instead we forced two unhappy cats into the car and I found myself staring at all of our possessions, wondering what to take with me to a friend's house. Turns out not much. I have surprisingly little need for about 98% of our material possessions; kind of a nice feeling to be honest. So we basically just grabbed our laptops (gotta have my husband's dissertation and my analysis of the fantasy football expert sites for 2008, which is in progress), a few photo albums (though really most of our images are digital now) and a bunch of important papers like passports, SSN cards, marriage certificate, etc (my mom would be proud to know I had those documents all carefully filed in one folder for just such an occasion). I wistfully stood there looking at our beautiful tv and considered trying to put it in the trunk but in the end decided that if our place actually burned down, we had much larger problems than just losing our sweet tv.
Anyway, we're back home and we're safe and considering we're hosting a BCS Championship Game party tonight, everything turned out pretty well for us. No seriously, I am pretty grateful that things worked out well for us and my thoughts are with those who haven't been quite as lucky.
So moving on to football links:
- Football Jabber has some good jabber on this weekend's games and the NFL draft - those with LT in your lineups better think again.
- Dr U Fantasy Football Guru has a few rankings up by position for this weekend's Divisional matchups - scope out the QBs, RBs and WRs.
- Every time I read an AccuScore article I think "dang, these guys are good" and this week is no exception. Read up on your fantasy options for this weekend in Playoff Fantasy Football: Divisional Round and get some game breakdowns and rankings - be sure to scope out the value element of the rankings.
- SportingNews.com's Ranks: Trust WRs who have been there gives solid advice on veterans you might want to plug into your lineup this weekend like Hines Ward, Steve Smith and Derrick Mason. There are rankings for each position with buy, sell and sleeper candidates noted.
- No-Offseason.com has their Divisional Round positional rankings up - all positions can be found off of this link. If you're a No-Offseason.com subscriber you'll get the full rankings, otherwise just the top 5 at each position are available.