Yesterday I opened my mailbox to find a copy of U.S. Bowler on top addressed to The Holladay Family (that's us). If you had told me 6 months ago - no, no 3 months ago - that we would be the recipients of U.S. Bowler magazine and that I would actually be somewhat interested in the contents (LeBron James was on the cover and oooh, tips on mastering the mental side of your bowling game), I would have laughed for a long time. I haven't really given a bowling update in awhile but for those interested, I pre-bowled with my team on Saturday since most of them will be out of town for our normal Wednesday league night this week, and I beat my average in 2 of the 3 games. I bowled two strikes in a row and a gutter ball all in the same game so I have some improvements to make still.
As for fantasy football, I lost two pretty close games last night and spent most of the evening willing Donald Driver to do more, and Jeremy Shockey to do less. In some leagues I have just one more game before the playoffs start, in others I have two and I'm still not sure how many playoff appearances I will make...
Remember - there are three games on Thursday so please get your lineups set by game time on Thursday (noon ET, I believe) and keep that in mind if you're in the FFLibrarian's Challenge on NBCSports.com. Let's get to today's links:
- Lester's Legends' Get 'em or Don't Sweat 'em offers up a ruling on whether or not Week 12 superstars are worthy of adding to your roster as we go forward into playoffs.
- Hatty Waiver Wire Guru's Week 13 video has a bunch of spot starters - and keep in mind that sometimes great fantasy defense includes grabbing guys off the waiver wire even if you don't need them (if you have the roster room).
- FFGeekBlog's The Wire - I like seeing Pierre Thomas on this list since who knows if Reggie Bush will be back in full force next week. I'm going to pat myself on that back a bit here (mostly to feel better for some unfortunate calls I made with my teams this week) and note that in late October on Scott Engel's radio show I called the Pierre Thomas over Aaron Stecker bit. Not that I want Stecker to be on IR of course but Thomas put on a solid show last night and it felt good.
- Football Jabber previews some of the Thanksgiving Day games in Turkeys, Lions and Cowboys oh my! - last night my husband and I were talking about this whole bird bowl thing with the Cardinals and Eagles playing and I realized that there are an impressive number of teams in the NFL with bird names - include the Falcons, Seahawks and Ravens and there are 5 whole birdy teams. Who knew birds could be that imposing of an animal? Actually, now that I think about it, I take it back since I have indeed been injured by a bird. A bird divebombed into my head when I was running by Lake Michigan in college. Its beak hit at the top of my ponytail and really kind of hurt. I have no clue why that bird just launched itself into my head (did my hair appear to be a nest on a moving target?!) but I confirm that a bird attack hurts.
- Moving on from birds to KFFL's Sleepers for Week 13 and Busts for Week 13 - as a Scheffler fan I'm of course pleased to see him listed as a sleeper here, thanks to his recent quiet performances and pretty solid matchup against the Jets (tied for the 5th most receptions given up to opposing TEs in the league).
- I consistently have a hard time remembering to include weekly rankings and projections on here - if this is something really helpful for you guys let me know and I'll focus on them a bit more. In the meantime...
- CBS Sports' Week 13 Rankings by position
- ESPN's Week 13 Projections - ranked both overall and by position
- FFToolbox's Who To Start Week 13 cheatsheets with projections
- If you're looking for some more waiver wire advice, there's quite a bit available. See what these guys have to say: