One of the really weird things that I discovered after moving to NYC? Sara Gore. Now those that know me are well aware that Gore is my maiden name, making me Sara Gore. Turns out I'm far from the only one. This is hardly a complete surprise since I grew up outside of DC playing soccer against Al Gore's daughter who happens to be my age and named Sarah. The sidelines would cheer for Sara(h) Gore thoroughly confusing all Sara(h) Gores on the field since how does the other team know my name and why are they cheering for me?? (note: when your name is Sara(h) and you're a child of the 80s, you get called by your full name since there are so many freaking Sara(h)s running around out there). So I was used to this existence of another Sara(h) Gore and even when we mistakenly received a wedding present for her, we clarified the situation, and I chuckled over still having this name twin. But things got creepy with the whole name twin thing upon moving to NYC since there's yet another Sara Gore who is a co-host of the tv show LX New York (and I believe she's been the host of NYC cab tv news?). It's just a little weird to be sitting in your living room, cranking out a fantasy football post, when bam you hear "I'm Sara Gore" or you look up and see your very own name on tv associated with someone else's face. It's just strange.
And I'm guessing this is how the Panthers and NYG Steve Smiths feel. I mean really, they've probably encountered countless other Steve Smiths (I know I have), but to have a famous person out there with your name (I'm using famous liberally here) - bizarre.
Speaking of names, there aren't a ton of new names on the waiver wire this week. But there's still lots of advice on which guys you might want on your radar or bench just in case they prove to be fantasy worthy. For the latest waiver thoughts, check out these links:
- FFGeekBlog's The Wire - Week 10: The Return of Chris Chambers. I mean just look at how few players here are deemed "startable" versus "worth a look" or "one-week wonders" - it's getting sparse out there, fantasy fans.
- FOX Sports' Rotter's Top 10 Waiver Claims
- NFL.com's Freeman, Betts will be popular names on fantasy's waiver wire
- KFFL.com's FF Waiver Wire by position (links to QB)
- FFManiaxs' Waiver Wire
- Hatty Waiver Wire Guru's Week 10 video
- Moving on from waiver wires...so Rotoworld's Daily Dose wonders whether Rashard Mendenhall was the steal of the fantasy draft. Gotta say that I was wondering the same thing about Joseph Addai this weekend, who is a consistent performer for me week in and week out - and came at a cheap price! Yahoo's Roto Arcade is similarly musing over Joseph Addai's value in Monday brunch: The curious case of Joseph Addai.
- Of course I can't avoid mentioning that Larry Johnson was indeed released - get this news and more from the Daily Haze.
- GoGameFace.com has updated their playoffs Top Fantasy Defenses series - it's now divided by position with color-coded teams for greater ease of reading. Take a look at the best teams for your RBs, WRs, and QBs to play during Weeks 13-17.
- Finally, I'm still on a high with Northwestern's win against Iowa - and since my sister is a Stanford grad, and hoards of my extended family went to Notre Dame a few generations ago, this Stewart Mandel article that starts off with a Northwestern/Stanford/Notre Dame comparison was of definite interest to me. Go NU and Stanford; go nerd schools!